[3830] CQWW CW 5X1AB(S53R) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, robert.kasca@wfp.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 5X1AB(S53R) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:43:57 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 5X1AB
Operator(s): S53R
Station: 5X1AB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kampala
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  280    16       47
   20:  286    32       68
   15:  135    23       53
   10:    9     4        6
------------------------------

Club: Slovenia Contest Club

Comments:

Here is my little contribution to the CQWW. Good to be back after a while â??
although this is a story by itself. Travelled thru 5X and 9Q in the past two
weeks as part of my job. The plans were to try and operate from 9Q initially,
but nobody was available locally to â??rentâ?? the station. Luckily, Aramais,
5X1AB, who works for the same agency, offered to use his station â?? if we were
lucky enough to make it on time from Kinshasa to Kampala. So we left Kin on
Saturday morning and it all started on the wrong foot already there. We were
late and you bet we missed late afternoon flight from Nairobi to Kampala. So we
hung around Nairobi till past 10pm and finally made it to Aramaisâ??s home
around 1am Sunday â?? dead tired. Listened the bands for a few minutes, hooked
up the PC and went to bed till 6 in the morning. Fired up the station and
thought that the pile-up will just start. Well I was dead wrong!! No pile ups
at all, or better more, just what is generated by cluster. The setup at 5X1AB
is moderate â?? Hustler vertical and IC-PW1, but stillâ?¦.

I figured out during Sunday that the old way of doing contests, at least if you
do not run with a huge signal is gone forever. Generally people just stair at
the PC waiting for a spot to pop up and jump on the DX-es from band-to-band. No
more tuning up and down, searching for that weak rare ones! This creates a peak
of 40-50 QSOs and then it all goes dead again â?? till another spot comes up.

Did some research between my log and the sports I found on DXScape, and it is
interesting, to say the least. Letâ??s see how logs/categories of some stations
compare to what I came up with :-))

Another thing I want to mention and it has already been noticed before is about
the behaviour of mostly EU stations â?? and that goes all across the continent,
not just selected countries. Me really having a week signal on 40m meant that I
had to call the station that I picked up for 4 to 5 times, before the poor guy
on the other side could hear me through the wall of stations just calling and
calling and calling!! Even worse, while I was in QSO they tried to make their
way by breaking-in. No go with me guys!! If the rest of the world plays by the
rules, EU will have to do it too!

To finish, Iâ??d like to thank Aramais and his family for the great
hospitality. Had my tea and fruits next to me all the time! And then a special
Sunday lunch��

73 and hopefully this is a come-back to a bit more serious contesting that I
missed very much due to my work commitments in the past 4 years or so. Pile-ups
still make goose pimples come up!!!

Robert, S53R