[3830] CQWW CW ON4UN SOSB(A)/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ON4UN SOSB(A)/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 03:04:34 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ON4UN
Operator(s): ON4UN
Station: ON4UN

Class: SOSB(A)/160 HP
QTH: Merelbeke
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160: 1528    29       98
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1528    29       98  Total Score = 299,847

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Good conditions like we have witnessed in the past two and half months. Belgium
was on the border line of the Northern area where these extremely enhanced
conditions took place. Southern Europe (Spain, Italy) has a "bad time" for a
change, and for the Southern hemisphere conditions did not seem exceptional
either. Except maybe for this most extraordinary QSO I had with ZS6WN who came
in solid 59 with his signal coming from due North!!!
Too bad I never heard zone 31 with KH6 (has been available regularly in Europe
the last months). I also noticed rat only two KH6 stations were spotted on the
DX clsuter, whereas one Eu station brags having worked 4 KH stations! I missed
a few easy European multipliers ( e.g. GU, GJ, C3, T7); thatâ??s probably why I
end up 2 countries short of DXCC. But with 98 countries and 29 zones, I really
should not complain. It is clear that such a good score can only be reached
thanks to the use of the DX cluster (in the "assisted" category).
I worked 280 North American stations, and missed only a few mults in
the Americas (5K0, TO4X and HD2: I just could not get through the US pileup).
Some of the more exciting QSOâ??s besides ZS6WN: KL7HBK (strong!), quite a few
W6-7sâ??s CW5A, 3 BY stations, 9M6/N2BB, SU9HP, UO0YAY (zone 23) and W7DT (Wa)
one hopur before his sunset (S9!!).
It really looked that this time all good things came via the North Pole. Our
friends up North had a ball, and where routinely they can only enjoy looking at
the aurora, this time they were masters in the field, and had super propagation
in all directions.
It is nice to see that the quality of the signals on the band (re. chirp and
wide band noise) is improving every year. Guess a lot of top banders use an
Orion or a K3? This was my first low band contest with my new K3, and it worked
like a charm.  The operating manners seem to have improved as well, although
still too few stations ask â??QRLâ?? before trying to steel a frequencyâ?¦
These are some of the best 160m conditions I have ever seen during a contest on
160m. Letâ??s have more of that.
Thanks to all who have given me a QSO, and to all US stations: looking forward
to similar conditions and even more US contacts next weekend in the ARRL 160m
contest.
73 â?? John â?? ON4UN