[3830] CQWW CW C6AKX(KE7X) SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fcady@ieee.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW C6AKX(KE7X) SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:14:11 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: C6AKX
Operator(s): KE7X
Station: C6AKX

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: Eluthera Island
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2654    33      117
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 2654    33      117  Total Score = 978,000

Club:

Comments:

20m had shut down about 2300 each day before the contest but on the first night
it was open to US. Started with the rate meter between 200 and 300 and I
thought "Yea, I'm going to get my first 200 hour." Well, worked 50 in the first
15 minutes and then the band crashed. I think it took me about 5 hours to get to
200 q's. Took a nap, got up about 0600 worked a few mults including the A73A and
other zone 20, 21 mults. Many thanks for all the multipliers that called in.
Band open to Eu about 1030Z and was able to hold 14055 for 11 hours straight!
Sunday was about the same. Lots of mults call in while I was running so the
antennas must have been really working.
Antennas on this band were standard Team Vertical verticals on the beach. One 2
element toward southern Eu, one 2 element toward US plus a dipole back of the
villa away from the beach to give some RF toward all the Caribbean and South
American mults. All three antennas were combined by a WX0B stack matcher that
allowed one, two or all three antennas to be used at once. I think that helped
a lot in attracting the attention of the multipliers.
The rig was an Elecraft K3 running 100 watts. The K3 is awesome. The K2 was far
better than the MP and the K3 is far better than the K2.
Had a problem on Sunday afternoon and wonder if any of you might have heard it
being very chirpy. Got a report from somebody and listened on another receiver
and sure enough it sounded pretty chirpy. The K3 had been sporadically
indicating LOW BAT. Changed out the power supply and it didn't fix the chirp.
After the contest a check indicated the chirp was no longer there. I heard
several other chirpy signals on the band and I don't remember ever hearing that
before.
Great contest conditions and great operators from all over the world. Many
thanks to all who called in. Please QSL to WA4WTG or I will try to have the
logs from this year and the previous years up on LOTW soon.