[3830] CQWW CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ad5q@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 19:36:08 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas, Tx
Operating Time (hrs): 44.3
Radios: SO2R

  160:   46    13       20
   80:  275    26       76
   40:  876    35      120
   20:  854    30      112
   15:  125    25       56
   10:    1     1        1
------------------------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Well, it didn't rain this year, and I thought 40 was in pretty good shape.
Europe was runnable for both nights. This increased my mult totals, as I always
do plenty of pouncing.

My 160 numbers are low, as I was very busy on 40 & 80 for the first hours of
the content and didn't go to 160 until the tail end of the EU opening. On the
2nd night the noise levels were high, especially on 80 & 160.  Everything
quieted down after midnight, so Asia was fine. So I mostly missed EU on 160.

The 20M pileups were good on both mornings, but I have made the mistake before
of not paying enough attention to 15 when the rates are too high to effectively
sweep with the 2nd radio. So on Day 2 I left the 100+ rate early and tried
running on 15 for some EU mults, as I also needed to sweep 20 for the mults
that I missed in my runs. I worked Nicaragua on that run â?? no EU. In the end,
I missed both Germany and Japan on 15 even though I was there a lot both tuning
and CQing.

But 10 was worse. HC8N moved me to 28020 when I worked them on 15, but with the
full stack on Galapagos I heard nothing. I tuned across the band frequently
looking for the usual suspects (zones 8, 9, 11 & 13), but never heard a single
propagated dit or dah all weekend. I see where most worked at least 6 countries
on that band â?? weak South Americans. I probably wasn't tuning carefully enough
to catch the weak ones.  Only 1 contact on 10: a WA5 local in Dallas, who I
moved up from 15.

So that covers all the mistakes. It was my best CQWW ever, and at the bottom of
the solar cycle. Please let's have one more year of sunspot bottom. I think I am
about to finally get the strategy right.

My thanks to Jay and Sharon.

Roy â?? AD5Q