[3830] ARRL 160 N1LN M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N1LN M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 06:21:33 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N4CW, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 34.5

Total:  QSOs = 1597  Sections = 77  Countries = 43  Total Score = 426,480

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The band is going quite here in NC, at least nothing new is calling, spotted or
found after a few S/P passes, so time to shut down.  Thanks to Bert (N4CW) for
making the contest fun and the M/S score look pretty good.  Our schedule of 3
hrs on 3 hrs off even let us get some sleep.

The conditions seemed pretty good on Friday night and we got off to a good
start.  The first six hours were well over 100 Qs per hour and we held our run
frequency for 8.5 hrs, with an average Q rate of 111 per hour.  The station was
playing well.   This was our first entry into ARRL 160 from this QTH so we had
nothing to compare to except for CQWW 160 from last year and we were well ahead
at that time and stayed ahead for the rest of the contest.

As expected, Saturday night was much different and, at times, tough to stay
awake.  Reading the latest QST or CQ while waiting to be called helped.  We
were both amazed by the number of dupes.  Not sure if people were just calling
for something to do or if they were not using computer logging, but the calling
did help to pass the time.  We did enjoy the EU sun rise and were able to put a
few more Qs and mults into the log.

Then at about 09:00UTC on Sunday morning the band noise started.  Not sure if
it was local or what, but the once quite band now had S5 - S7 static from all
beverage directions except south.  South was down around S4.  If you tried to
work us after the QRN started and we did not hear you, sorry.  Probably not on
your end.  It sounded like rain noise, but it wasn't raining.  For a while I
thought it was the coffee pot.  Not so fortunate, but the fresh coffee did help
keep me awake.

We missed the following sections: PR, NT, AK - posted but not heard.

Rig:

K3-100
AL 1500
Inverted-L
Beverages:
  west - 450'
  northwest - 725'
  north - 400'
  northeast - 725'
  south - 450'

Once again, the roofing filters and DSP filtering and general excellent
performance of the K3 were a pleasure to operate and I am sure allowed us to
put a few extra Qs in the log.

Thanks to all that worked us and all that spotted us.

Hope to work you in CQWW-160 in January.

73,
Bruce - N1LN