[3830] CQWW CW K0TV M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0TV M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:18:30 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): WO1N, K1BG, K1UZK, K1WD, K2TE, KB1NYQ, NE1B, NF1A, W1END, W1MJ,
K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: New Hampshire
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   78    14       46
   80:  647    26      105
   40:  860    32      127
   20: 1232    31      124
   15:  197    24       80
   10:    8     4        5
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Another one for the books. Everyone here at K0TV had a great time.

I had to go to a high school reunion that started just as the contest was
starting so WO1N volunteered to be the station captain in my absence. Ken did a
fantastic job of keeping everything running and the chairs filled until I
arrived on Saturday afternoon. One of the amps failed somewhat dramatically
near the start but Ken was able to put a different amp into the station and
keep the station on the air. I still don't know what happened to that amp but
I've basically got until February to fix it. I'm sure it will be back on the
air long before that.

A couple of the regulars couldn't make it this time but other operators stepped
up to the plate admirably. Work has to come before contesting so we all
absolutely understand.

The 160 receive antennas were working extremely well but the transmit antennas
didn't seem to be up to snuff. It was very frustrating to call EU stations that
were solid S9 signals and the best we could get was a QRZ? from many of them.
Even ON4UN needed a few tries to hear us. When John can't hear you, there's
something seriously wrong. I'm writing this a week later after the ARRL 160
contest where I got some new transmit antennas on line that seemed to work much
better. Too bad they weren't up a week earlier. Still more to do on that. We'll
be looking for everyone during the Stew Perry and the CQWW 160 CW contests
later this season.

The 40 meter rotator failed a couple of days before the contest and the beam
got stuck pointed at KH6. I wasn't able get it turned to EU until the second
night. Once the antenna was pointed at EU, we could really hold a frequency but
it was difficult the first night with only the four square, the big beam on KH6,
and the South beam. When all was said and done, 40 actually had more countries
and zones than 20.

The new station configuration with the amplifiers in the other room made the
operating positions much more pleasant. Less noise and heat in the "OR". The
new multi-deck autotune 8877 amp worked flawlessly. It's a real beast that
makes lots of blower noise and lots of heat but it loafs along keeping two
stations up and running at the legal limit.

Watching live scores was a lot of fun and the competition is a blast to watch.
I sure wish those stations using stone knives and bearskins for logging would
upgrade so they could get into the fray with the live updates.

Congratulations to everyone who participated and we look forward more fun in
the coming months.

This contest's MVP goes to WO1N for an outstanding job all around. Too bad Ken
isn't a regular for this contest but I understand he loves operating from K1TTT
normally. We'll miss him next year for this contest. We're lucky to have him for
the 160 and SSB contests.

Best 73,

Jerry