[3830] ARRL 160 N1UR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N1UR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:47:38 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 28
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 938  Sections = 67  Countries = 21  Total Score = 174,064

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I have never done a full out ARRL 160 before.  Tried a couple of years ago but
Murphy struck.  I really went all out for it to see what was doable from VT Low
Power.  This included running SO1.5R by listening on my NE beverage much of the
time on the second radio while CQing.  I could hear pretty darned well to
within 10kcs of the CQ frequency.

Conditions to EU were excellent, but I wish there was more activity from there.
 I had about a dozen EU answer my CQs and worked another dozen or so that were
CQing.  The conditions to the west were just okay and as stated by others there
was almost no activity from CA.  On the second night, the Geomagnetic storm
which drove A to 20 and K to 3 for half of the night really shut me down up
here in Vermont.  At one point around 07Z on Sunday, I could not hear a single
station west of MN and even those were down by 50% vs the night prior.  The
hour before sunrise here Sunday, I could not hear any better.

I had planned to go through the second night but slept for 3.5 hours because
the conditions got so bad.  Started great, ended miserably, up here.

Had fun...satisfied my curiousity about this contest.  EU would have to show up
in a lot more numbers to be able to make up for the Q rates obtainable from
other parts of the USA in this contest.

Missed ID and WY and KH6 and KL7 plus a bunch of central and West VE and the
California sections.