[3830] ARRL 160 VE9DX M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE9DX M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:19:17 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE9DX
Operator(s): VE9DX
Station: VE9DX

Class: M/S LP
QTH: MAR
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 406  Sections = 53  Countries = 16  Total Score = 63,066

Club:

Comments:

Well that was interesting...  Really could not get interested the first night.
Just returned from a road trip to VE3.  Spent 14 hours on the road driving in
Rain, Snow, Freezing rain, Montreal rush hour traffic etc.  I am to old for
that stuff now days.
Felt the conditions were quite poor overall.  After the fisrt 26 hours... I
only had 22 contacts in my log but had a great sleep...!
Did manage a couple contacts with Montana and one with Utah but that was it
although I heard and called N6TR/7 and K7TJR many times.  Not a single 6 lander
and no trace of the KH6's although I heard stations working KH6LC and KH6BK.
There was just no trace of them.  All in all very few stations heard west of
the Mississippi.
Nice surprise being called by NT0V for North Dakota.
Great hearing so many MAR stations on.  Worked 7 and heard 2 more.
Most worked section by far was VA. followed by EMA, EPA and Ontario with 19
contacts each.
Did work a few DX stations including 5K0T and E77DX (both new to me as VE9DX)
but totally struck out with FM5CD. He was LOUD but never got so much as a QRZ
out of him.  Managed HI3A, KV4FZ and ZF2AH all on the first call.
Station here is running 30 watts (Battery powered) to a Cushcraft MA-160v
vertical with 15 radials under it (none over 10 meters long)  Why this  system
works, I really don't know.  Just 2 weeks ago I managed JA8ISU and RZ0AF with
this same setup.
Used up some prime 160 meter time (sunset) on RTTY in the TARA contest also.
Contacts have been uploaded to LOTW.
Thanks again all... 73 Andy (VE9DX)