[3830] ARRL 160 VE2TZT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE2TZT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:09:10 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE2TZT
Operator(s): VE2TZT
Station: VE2TZT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Montreal
Operating Time (hrs): 26

Total:  QSOs = 1207  Sections = 73  Countries = 31  Total Score = 278,512

Club: C group du Quebec

Comments:

Started half an hour late for a last fix (but is it important to start just at
the first minute in a 42h contest where the number of participants is very
limited?).
I found the conditions difficult this year, the band was very noisy, especially
the second night. Even with a slightly improved receiving beverage system and
station from last year, I was not able to manage out the same number of  QSO
and mults than last year. I even missed VE6 and was only able to contact one
VE7... For the first time, I was obliged to NIL several qsoâ??s  that I was not
able to complete, the caller definitively disappearing in noise and qsb .
Perhaps the location is too magnetically Northern for some competitiveness : I
often heard some not so far, but more Southern competitors, working EU stations
that I could not even guess.
So, considering the conditions and thinking that this will not make the
difference, I decided, after several breaks which were becoming  longer and
longer, to stop the contest at 9H50 UTC (4H50 local) on Sunday. I think that,
considering the number of participants, this contest could have a 24h format.
And I find those 10 qso/h last hours pitiful.
The positive thing about conditions was that I had no any storm crash for the
whole contest.
The K3 in diversity RX was a great experience, you can read the descriptions of
others about those fast moving signals from one ear to other, but you cannot
really imagine what a great experience it is without a try. The move from a
mono signal to a real stereo (not artificially re-created) one, propels you
into a magic world, just like the difference between 2D and 3D movies.