[3830] ARRL 160 VE2DWA(LU7DW) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve2dwa@yahoo.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE2DWA(LU7DW) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 07:15:16 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE2DWA
Operator(s): LU7DW
Station: VE2DWA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Aylmer QC
Operating Time (hrs): ~8

Total:  QSOs = 363  Sections = 63  Countries = 19  Total Score = 66,240

Club:

Comments:

All reports sent were 599 QC, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description: Kenwood TS-930, Ten Tec Titan (700 watts)

Antenna: Inverted L @ 12 meter w/8 x 1/4 wave radials buried in the snow, Low
Inverted Vee

PC: Pentium 1 166 MHz w/CT 10.04 DOS

Comments:  Very part-time operation, but I'm very happy with my score.

Friday evening I was repairing the L antenna broken during during CQ WW CW,
but
working outside with a temperature of -20 Celsius wasn't an easy task, spent
more than two hours working in the night therefore start the contest almost
three hours later.

Saturday I drove to Montreal returning late in the evening found the band full
of signals but noisy, it was snowing, near midnight trying to work a station
around 1900KHz, because of high SWR, one end of the inverted vee got fire, wire
burned and the antenna broken, I went outside again and under a heavy snow I've
repaired the antenna, I cut the wire a little shorter to work high end of the
band.  Few more QSOs and time to sleep, I was exhausted; Sunday morning some
more QSOs to finish around brunch.

Very happy on work my friend Jorge CX6VM Saturday before my sunrise, but a
couple of hours after his sunrise, ON4WW was the loudest EU signal, ON4UN the
EU longest time station copied, VE3RZ was the loudest VE during both days and
I'm very happy on work my buddies at VE2OJ (sorry guys I couldn't be part of
the operation this year). .  Sunday morning very surprise on copying a JH3
station answering many CQs from people that don't copy him, I've started to
call CQ myself but he never answer me :-(.

Lots of activity from VE2 make QC an easy multiplier, CGQ is doing a great job
getting more QC stations active in contest.

Lot of fun, I'm becoming a top band adict for sure.

Merry Xmas and Happy New year to all.

73, Claudio LU7DW-VE2DWA-VE3AP