[3830] CQWW CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW DL3YM(@DF2PY) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:24:11 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DF2PY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48.0
Radios: SO2R

  160:  327    16       52
   80:  762    22       81
   40: 1173    31      108
   20: 1007    32       85
   15:  149    21       66
   10:    8     2        7
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

This has been the sixth straight year that I do the CQWW from Wolfâ??s (DF2PY)
place, and even though condx admittedly stank on the higher bands and Murphy
declared our QTH as his temporary home, I cherished every moment of it.

Wolf has put a lot of effort and engineering expertise into optimising the
station which got ready just in time for the contest weekend. Once setting up
the station on Friday night was completed we again enjoined the camaraderie
with the DR4A guys during our pre-contest-pizza-dinner. This is becoming a nice
tradition and it puts me in the right mood for going 48 hours straight when I
see the commendable dedication of this crew.

Started running on 40 using the new 3 el wire yagi fixed NA and was rewarded
with much better rates than I was used to. It was actually stunning to hear
stations Q5 copy on the new antenna that were totally inaudible on the old 2
el. I knew I was getting in trouble, though, when I QSYed to 80 and found that
the new receive switching matrix quit after just a few minutes, forcing me to
operate with the TX antenna - turns out later that we had a sequencing problem
which never was on our testing agenda. That probably hurt my performance on 80
and 160 and possibly was the reason why I did not work zone 3 on topband
despite excellent condx. Saturday was mostly spent running on 20 while picking
up mults on 15. Rates started to accelerate when 20 opened to NA around 1400,
unfortunately closing again already 3 hours later. Finished the day alternating
between 80 and 40 before changing to 160 around 2230.

Halfway into the second night the second radio amp fuse blew up, leaving me a
very restricted SO1.5R until sunrise on Sunday. Found that 160 was not as hot
as the night before, but 80 stayed open long and I continued working into
central America with the second radio well over 30 mins after my sunrise. While
maintaining a little lead QSO-wise over my target during the day, I started
falling behind concerning mults. A short but intense opening on 15 could not
compensate for that and 10 remained dead. Unfortunately I ran into tech
problems again on Sunday evening when I tried to hit 160 real hard. Kept pretty
much alert until 2200, but quickly and intensely crashed thereafter, meditating
over the mystery how all those people I was talking to fit into these small
boxes on my table...

Thanks all for a weekend that could not have been spent better otherwise.
Special thanks to Wolf & family for providing a home rather than just a shack,
to my XYL & my boys for letting me go and keeping up with a very tired dad the
whole following week. And many congrats to DJ5MW for a great score I was sure I
could not beat â?? turns out I didnâ??t even come close. Maybe one day I will,
hi.