[3830] ARRL 160 VE3FRX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjw5257@yahoo.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE3FRX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 20:02:47 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3FRX
Operator(s): VE3FRX
Station: VE3FRX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Varna, ON
Operating Time (hrs): 20

Total:  QSOs = 412  Sections = 74  Countries = 10  Total Score = 62,974

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

First contest from my new ham shack in the steel workshop.  Nice and warm, not
5°C like last year!  All search and pounce because my TS-950SDX developed
problem with the DSP plug (the grey one) on the back - was loose so I lost
receive intermittently when sending.  Made running impossible.  Keying or ATU
would return receive for a while, then it would slowly fade to nil.  Bummer.
(Any known fixes out there?)

Antenna was 132ft (80m) shorted centre fed ZEPP at 30ft and 6 x 130ft radials
under snow.  Supported from mast on top centre of large steel workshop. Noise
level <S2 here.  No RX antenna. 100-150W. N1MM logger worked great as usual.

Nice and quiet on Friday night, but miserable snow/wind storm (and small solar
burp)on Saturday raised the QRN to uncomfortable level (S5-6).  Sat in the
chair for 14 hours then crashed and only did 6 on Saturday night as the dupes
mounted.

Lots of new DX for me: TM6M, ZF2AH, P40TA, HI3A, F6CWN, KV4FZ, ON4UN, FM5CD,
G4AMT and KH6LC.  Almost all with only one call, so the hill top location near
Lake Huron really working great.

Where was SFL, WTX, WWA!, ND, WY, LAX, SB, VE5, VE4, VO1, NL? (Forget VE8)  I
guess you have to run for them to find you.

Had a great time and thanks for all the Qs.  Look for your QSL in LOTW and
eQSL.
Thanks and see you for the RAC Winter Contest.
73,
Jeff, VE3FRX