[3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, b38@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:50:22 -0800
                    NCCC Sprint - Dec 12

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: RF Hole
Operating Time (hrs): .5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   1      1
   80:  17      7
   40:  17      3
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  35     10  Total Score = 350

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I've been taking a break from the NS until the myriad of problems get resolved
with my Locust Peak remote site.  It's always work-work-work of some kind -
either on the road or with other 'stuff' to do.  Decided I needed an NS fix
tonight from the home RF Hole, and agree with W9RE about 40m - I thought maybe
something was wrong with my low inverted vee.  Signals were weak and the band
sounded crappy here.  I think this is the first time I've ever worked more
mults on 80 than 40.

Raised one end of the Carolina Windom 160 on Locust Peak a week ago, but the
SWR went whacky.  Took the analyzer up on Wednesday during our continued tree
whacking work party, and discovered that the low SWR point is now way below
1.8Mhz.  I found this bizarre, as always thought the reasonant point came up
when the antenna was raised higher. The SWR remains fine on 80/40 CW, so am
hesitant to do any pruning.  #&^!

Tomorrow I'm adding more AGM batteries into the food chain in hopes of being
able to weather (pun) the low sunlight non-sunny Winter WX periods. I about
fell over when I discovered the cost of these batteries has gone up about 50%
in the last year. Tonight I realized that adding an Ethernet Switch and PTZ
Webcam tomorrow may drain too much from the system and I'll be SOL for juice to
operate again.  #&^!

If you hear me in the NS next week, I *should* be louder if I can squeeze a
half hour of remote QRV from Locust Peak.  In the interim, I hope to see a
mountain lion or other critters (remotely viewing) with the new Webcam :^)

Nice to work some of the NS regulars tonight, although missed K4BAI, W4NZ & a
few others.

73 & Tnx for the Q's...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust