[3830] ARRL 10 W2UP SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2up@arrl.net, gofrc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W2UP SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:08:59 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

   CW:  545    64
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  545    64  Total Score = 139,776

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

This isn't my kind of contest - 10m with no sunspots.  I like DX contests with
big rates, not stateside snorefests.  However, once I got started, I put in
more time than I expected.  The band was so quiet, with plenty of room for
everyone, so it wasn't hard to stay on.  During slow periods, I set the Auto-CQ
 and caught up on some reading.

It's always interesting how propagation changes from minute to minute on 10m.
Pipeline to MN one minute, FL the next (actually FL a lot), and so on.  In the
last hour was surprised to pick up NM (N2IC where were you?) and AZ for 2 new
mults.  Other than a 20 minute opening to CA, during which I also worked UT and
NV, but nothing in the Pac NW.  Just about everything else was east of the
Rockies, including no CO (or ND) contact.  Only state I missed in the east was
ME, which is not surprising after the ice storm.  I was surprised to work a
couple of NH guys.

Only EU worked was F5IN, who was my first QSO in the contest on Sat. morning.
In AF, I worked an EA8 and Z29KM (answered my CQ!).  No ZS.  A few SA and
Caribbs, and also had VP8NO answer my CQ.

After having Writelog malfunction in CQWW CW with random periods of garbage CW,
I switched to N1MM for this one, which worked great.  Only problem I had was
when in the smart-Enter key mode, and using the paddle, I tried to save the
QSOs without transmitting with Shift-Enter, which is the way it's done in WL.
Unfortunately, I probably lost 10-15 QSOs before I realized they weren't being
saved (and read the Help file to find Alt-Enter is the correct way.)  Some guys
I worked again, and some refused (QSO B4.) Unfortunately, some will get dinged
with a N-I-L. Sorry guys.