[3830] ARRL 10 VE2TZT SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VE2TZT SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:44:16 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE2TZT
Operator(s): VE2TZT
Station: VE2TZT

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Montreal
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   CW:  223    49
  SSB:  132    32
-------------------
Total:  355    81  Total Score = 93,636

Club: C. Groupe du Quebec

Comments:

Many of us, including me, had underestimated the propagation for this contest
and started it casually or did not participate at all. Too bad, because the
conditions were far better that last year. There where interesting openings and
a diversity in propagation modes.

At several occasions, operators were missing at the other side while the band
was opened, as for example between FL and QC two hours before the end.

Of course, it was far from top of cycle, but the band was alive, proving that
pessimism is contributing to create bad conditions.

The propagation was mostly North-South, but I had an interesting East-West
opening on Sunday to CA and NV, thinking that perhaps I missed an opening to
Europe earlier.
Of course, we had dead hours, including those when signal was very strong for a
few seconds, just the time to answer to a call, and then disappeared for a full
minute just to prevent from completing the QSO. Very frustrating, many contacts
where lost like that.
I guess that those who switched on the station during those hours concluded a
little too fast that this was the conditions for the whole weekend. Happily, it
was not the case, and finally, I spent more time that forecasted.

Thank for the calls and will try to be here for the Canadian Winter Contest.

Gilles, VE2TZT