[3830] ARRL 10 W5RU(@KN5O) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kn5o@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W5RU(@KN5O) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:27:12 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W5RU
Operator(s): KN5O K1DW
Station: KN5O

Class: M/S HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 31.63

   CW:  554    55
  SSB:  419    45
-------------------
Total:  973   100  Total Score = 305,800

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

I thought this was going to be a washout of a contest.  10M band conditions were
really crummy here starting Friday night into Saturday.. They were so bad that
at midnight I pulled the switch - had enough of copying scatter and sporadic E
signals in the mud - my ears ached - enough is enough.

Dallas, K1DW joined me Saturday.  It was so bad during the day, he fell asleep
in the chair listening to me as we took turns.  It clearly was a struggle for
most of the time.  Even took a 2 hour lunch break - nothing to do except call
CQ on what appeared to be a dead band - it was exciting as watching paint dry -
reminded me of my early 6M contest days, which helped me learn patience.

Then by early evening Saturday, things picked up, but still not great.  Had
enough by midnight and pulled the plug again.  Dallas called it a contest
Saturday afternoon and said 73, GL OM.

So got up about 5:30AM Sunday, and gee, the bandscope was looking like there
was activity.  And from there, that was it.  Stayed in my PJs the rest of the
contest.  Boy, the path openned to Florida and I thought, "Geez, where are all
these guys coming from?"  I never heard so many 4's.  We had a pipeline.  And
from there as the day progressed you could track the propagation from the
Southeast to the mid-Atlantic, to the Northeast, to the mid-west to the
Rockies.  However, seems as though trying to get over the Rockies was tough.
Never did hear anything from WA, OR, MT, ID, ND, or the Canadian Provinces west
of Ontario - or east of Quebec - or even North (wishful thinking).

So as it turns out, ultimately it was great for us - finally I felt like we had
a good run.  And for this contest, you gotta LOVE the bandscope - what a
savior.

So many thanks to all for the Q's and for copying us in the QRN.  We look
forward to the next contest, so we'll see you in the pileups.

73,
Ted, KN5O and Dallas, K1DW
Delta DX Association
Members, Louisiana Contest Club