[3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nx5m@txcyber.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:05:03 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, N5XJ, N5DUW, KJ5T
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 30

   CW:  533    62
  SSB:  833    58
-------------------
Total: 1366   120  Total Score = 456,240

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

We got a lot of practice at weak signal work.  Last year we logged over 800 qsos
in the first 6 hours.  This year there were only 141 qsos in the log by the time
we called it quits the first night but did have a little DX in the log as
several ZL's gave us a call.
Saturday turned out to be a very long day.  Since KU5B and I overslept we did
not get back on the air when we intended to but I can pretty much guess what we
missed; nothing.  A snails pace all day long and into the end of Saturday night
left us with only 482 raw qsos in the log before shutting down and getting some
rest for whatever Sunday had in store for us.  The band was still open at 0700z
Sunday but about the only signals left were the major participants.
I would like to say thanks to that the person that turned on the switch Sunday
morning.  Although it was not really close to the best of times it was very
much improved over what everyone had been dealing with.
Never thought we would break the signal shield to points in the northwest and
far north but we did manage to get ID, MT, ND and VE5.  Never heard a sound
from NH, VT or ME and I think we were not in the right place at the right time
to work RI.  Arkansas must have been blocked also.  Usually we work it but this
year we worked every state around it.
This was not fun for many hours but I believe in finishing what is started.  It
did get better so I figure the fruits of the labor came on Sunday.
The operating crew had a new member this year.  KJ5T joined us for his first
10m contest and I think he left Sunday afternoon having learned a great deal.
As usual, not all of the operators are here the whole time...but that is fine
as long as we have a capable body in the chair.
This HAS to be the end of the worst.  The only way it could have been any worse
would have been if the band were the same on Sunday as it was on Saturday.
Appreciate all the patience while we tried to pull calls out of the ether.
This was indeed hard work.