[3830] ARRL 10 W4PVC M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W4PVC M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:39:58 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W4PVC
Operator(s): KJ4IFJ, KJ4IFK,KJ4IFM, W4ZW
Station: W4PVC

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Osprey, FL
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

   CW:  22     11
  SSB:  35     14
-------------------
Total:  57     25  Total Score = 3,950

Club: Pine View School Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

This was our first real operation from school with kids who were licensed last
week. I was frankly amazed at how well our 10M hamsticks (one vertical and one
horizontal) mounted on a 7' photo light tripod worked!  Thankfully we had
propagation and the kids had a ball.  They were high fiving when they worked
their first DX (TKS HI3CCP!) and had fun looking up the prefixes on the world
map we used.  More high fives with the SA stations.  It was humbling to
remember when I had to figure out where the coax and mike cable went!  Not to
mention what all those knobs do!  We have some potential contesters.  To heck
with that "hunting and pouncing", these kids wanted to CQ!  They made 35 SSB
contacts in 14 states/countries and from their point of view they won this
contest!  Our 8th grader did most of the mike work. We only had the school
classroom for about three hours and they didn't want to quit when it came time
to lock up.
They were almost as excited as they walked away jabbering about all the "DX"
they worked as they were when they were setting up the antennas in anticipation
of operating. Now they're talking about the NAQP in January and the School Club
Contest in February!