[3830] ARRL 10 K6GEP SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K6GEP SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 21:41:23 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: CA - ORG
Operating Time (hrs): 9

   CW:   61    11
  SSB:   46     9
-------------------
Total:  107    20  Total Score = 6,720

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my 30th anniversary of my first entry in this contest, when I
entered in 1978 as WB6OWD. (I looked it up, and I made 172 QSO's!)

John, KQ6ES was generous enough to lend me his extra Cushcraft Ten-3 beam
for the contest, so that we would duke it out for the AB class of the
Orange section.  Unfortunately, Murphy struck me early with a flat tire on
Thursday night on the way home from work, causing me to get the tire fixed
on Friday morning, when I had planned to set up the antenna.

We had wind whip up on Saturday, and it looked like it was going to rain.
Unfortunately, I didn't get the beam up until the last 4 hours of the contest,
and at least worked a CO multiplier that I wouldn't have on my vertical.

Great short skip on Sunday morning.  I had seen those conditions before, but
I had never known it to be meteor scatter.  Quite educational. Nice
participation from ID, MT and WY.  Didn't hear all the Coloradans that the
Northern Calif stations worked.  Longest distance was N4BP in FL. Heard
LU1HF Saturday but didn't work.

Had a lot of fun talking to the locals, some of which were just a mile away.
Good to hear my friend from high school, Rich AE6RS.

I want to give a special thanks to John David in the Cushcraft parts dept for
getting a necessary part out to me just in time. Terrific customer service.

Congrats to John KQ6ES for his apparent win of AB in the Orange section.
He beat me in QSO's, not mults.

All in all, it was a fun weekend, and was a great way to spend my birthday
on the 13th.  This year definitely did NOT deserve the "Stink Stank Stunk"
label that I gave last years contest:
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/3830/2007-December/146792.html

Rig: FT-990
Ant: Cushcraft Ringo Ranger Vertical
     Cushcraft Ten-3 (2000z on the 14th) 6 feet off roof

Software: N3FJP