[3830] NCCC Sprint N0AX(@K7RI) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint N0AX(@K7RI) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:36:06 -0800
                    NCCC Sprint - Dec 129

Call: N0AX
Operator(s): N0AX
Station: K7RI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 00:30

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  41     7  Total Score = 287

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Finally got on for one of these, including the slow-speed version in which I
enjoyed QSOing W7DRA.  Mike was using the following gear..."the prototype rx is
a 76 regen followed by two stages of 76 audio amplification (built along the
KW7WT design), and the tx is a pair of push pull CG1984s (early 50 watt 211s,
era 1924), as a TNT, or tuned plate not tuned grid configuration (written up in
QST a few years back). hard to tame, i have grid and plate suppressers on
everything."  I was using an IC-7800 at the station of Tom K7RI.  A little
cognitive dissonance? (Thanks to Tom and Kari for the contest, a dinner of
tasty beef stroganoff afterwards, and some Oliver The Kitty time.)

Bands were, in the words of Elmer Fudd, "Vewy, vewy qwiet."  Which actually
heightened the thrill of the hunt - "Wow, Tennessee!!"  With only 30 minutes of
contest time, there's not a second to waste, so the tuning knob and antenna
switch got a workout.

And so did the operator - man, was I rusty.  No, not Rusty - he wasn't on - but
just flat-out deer-in-the-headlights trying to remember what function key was
what and slow to "sync up", particularly with Mr CW-as-Bar-Code himself, K7SS,
whose high-speed sending is not so much characters as a distinct noise burst
that happens to mean K7SS. Anyway, I'll be on for more - probably not on
Christmas, but in the future for sure...

73, Ward N0AX