[3830] TBDC WX7G Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC WX7G Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 08:39:49 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: WX7G
Operator(s): WX7G
Station: WX7G

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: UTAH
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 178  Total Score = 1,929

Club:

Comments:

The first WX7G Stew Perry Distance Challenge took place at the Great Salt Lake
of Utah on a 27 deg F nite with snow on the ground. When the wind stopped and
the 134' balloon vertical flew vertical it worked well. When the wind blew it
down to 20' it worked poorly. And when the wire would dip in the salt water it
didn't work at all. Several trips walking in rubber boots to the antenna ground
rod 140' from the shore (8" deep water) were needed to replace a 36" balloon
that deflated and to add a second balloon at the 50' level to keep the #26
copper-weld wire out of the water.

This is my last balloon vertical. The CQ 160m contest will see a 65' loaded
mast mounted at the water's edge and grounded to the salt water There's a clear
shot to the East over 10 miles of very salty water). Talk about a low
pseudo-Brewster angle.

The Yaesu FT-450 receiver was pumped pretty good by strong stations. Gotta
finish that K-2. The 30 minutes it took to work JA3YBK was worth it as my
search-and-pounce rate was getting real slow and this was a 9000 km QSO. He
could hear me but not copy me at first and I figured condx would peak within an
hour, and they did.