[3830] TBDC W2GD Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC W2GD Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:13:55 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): N2HM, N2OO, W1GD, W2CG, W2GD, W2NO
Station: W2GD

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: FM29 SNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 13:59

Total:  QSOs = 620  Total Score = 3,661

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

IC756ProIII + Alpha 76PA
IC756ProIII + Ameritron AL1200
WIN-TEST Software

We returned to the M/S HP catagory this year after doing QRP the past two
years.  And looking back through the records, our score this time was our best
HP effort ever.

Holiday and family obligations left the team again a bit short staffed this
weekend but before the contest the two TX antennas were repaired, and the
beverages sounded good, so everything was a go at our selected start time of
2200 Z.

In retrospect, maybe an earlier start would have been a better choice, since
conditions to EU sounded above average the first few hours and faded later.
F6KNB and GM3POI were the early 'beacons' and very loud well before local
sunset.

We operated nearly the whole contest between 1811 and 1813.  This seemed to
work in past years.  Other 3830 reports are filled with comments that it seemed
overall activity was down this eyar, and we totally agree.  There was never a
time when the band sounded 'full' to us, and rarely a signal heard above 1850.

We never had a noise level problem, which pleasantly surprised us since we knew
weather systems in the central USA were particularly active all day Saturday.
Just a slightly increased QRN level came up about 0800Z, but nothing
troublesome.

C4M was our best DX at 8700+ KM.  We believe VQ98JC called but we couldn't
complete the contact.  No VK, no ZL, no JA, no KL7.  About 120 EU worked
overall, with many EU well over S-9 the first few hours, but conditions faded
signficantly, and the hoped for signal enhancement at EU sunrise was minimal.
Last EU at 0912, well past G sunrise.  It seemed we could hear the western USA
stations better than they were hearing us.  CX6VM was very loud once we got the
south beverage in play.  Were were all the PYs and LUs this time?  And very
little Carib activity was noted.

Thanks again to WYRS-FM for the use of their great facilities.

We'll be back for CQ160 CW next month.  HNY to everyone.

73,

John, W2GD for the entire 160 Team