[3830] CQWW CW VE3FU SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3FU SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:42:08 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3FU

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1229    28      109
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1229    28      109  Total Score = 440,181

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Congratulations to VE3XD (LP) and VA7RR @ VE6JY (HP) on super SOSB 20m scores!
(10 years ago VA7RR and I operated 20m together at the VE3EJ MM).

Having moved from my old QTH 4 years ago I have been pretty much been off the
air since, except for a few multi-ops and SOSB 20 HP last year at VE3RM.  I was
finally able to get my two towers (72' Trylons) and tribanders (TH6 & EX-14) up
late in October, and finished connecting the coax, rotor cables and control
wires about a week before the contest.  Not having any antennas for the low
bands, I decided to do SOSB 20m again this year, and thanks to the loan of a
TL-922 from VE3AAQ (VO1AU) I was able to do HP.  Unfortunately things didn't go
as well as I had planned in the first contest from my new QTH :=(  On the bright
side - things can only get better!

Not having been seriously on the air since CQWW CW last year I was expecting
(and hoping) things would pick up right where they left off.  Obviously that
wasn't the case.  At the start of the contest last year I was able to run USA
stations, plus S&P SA, AF, and OC so that by the time I shut things down for
the night at 0700Z I had 300 QSOs in the log.  This year, there was no USA to
run at the start and I had 23 QSOs in the log when I turned everything off at
0400Z.

When I wasn't able to get much of a run going into EU at sunrise Saturday I
thought conditions would be that way for the rest of the contest.  I S&P'd my
way up and down the band during, in retrospect, what was a good opening to EU
and didn't make as many QSO's as I could have if I had stuck to CQing.

Like everyone else, I found the band very crowded and only open during the
daylight hours.  As soon as the sun came up / went down it was like someone
threw a switch.

In the end, I made 360 fewer USA QSOs and 210 fewer EU QSOs than last year.
That accounts for the 2/3 reduction in QSOs and score from last year.  That
plus the 4 fewer zones and 19 fewer countries :=(  On the plus side, my pts/QSO
is up :=)

Thanks for all the QSOs and see you again next year!

73,

Chris