[3830] RTTY Roundup VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:22:22 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
   80:  132
   40:  127
   20:  287
   15:  121
   10:
------------
Total:  667  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 17  Total Score = 48,691

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Gear:
* FT-2000 + FT-920
* N1MM + MMTTY
* 80M phased elevated verticals x 2
* 40M phased half-squares x 2
* 40M phased elevated verticals x 2
* 3 ele. tribander at 40'

This year: Flux: 70  | Ap: 10  | Kp: 1
Last year: Flux: 79  | Ap: 14  | Kp: 3

Not sure what to make of this weekend's propagation. Low bands didn't seem very
good, and the high bands weren't much better. Not much DX found anywhere.

Was surprised to find EU 20M rather wide open at 1430z Sunday morning -- lasted
all of 30 minutes, and the stations disappeared back into the ether. I thought
they'd be back later, but they weren't. Got only DL, 5C5, EI, GW, GI, I and PA
before the band shifted again.

The 80M verticals did well for LP. Beat the delta loop of two years back, and
could have caught last year's HP total if I had invested a few more minutes on
the band Sunday morning.

The 40M half-square array doesn't work like it once did for domestic work, so
will have to check it over once winter is done. Neither the half-squares nor
twin vertical arrays for 40M worked well, so perhaps I have too many 40M wires
in the air and they're killing each other. After the first night, I had just 30
or so Qs on 40M. By noon Sunday, I had 80. Went to 40M for the final half hour
and bumped that up to 127, but still a LONG way from last year's 225 on 40M.

Played taxi driver back and forth to three hockey games during the contest, so
my off times were shot with breaks of 20 minutes here, 40 minutes there, etc.

Officially took 1.5 hours on Saturday afternoon, then when 40M wasn't working
well, took 4.5 hours on Saturday evening and got back on at 2 a.m. 1000z -- 80M
and 40M were deserted by then but I stayed with it for 5.5 hours before taking a
few extra hours off Sunday morning. Ended up putting in 17.75 hours.

Ran SO2R for real this time -- for a while I actually had two bands going at
the same time. Wasn't too hot at it, but got better with time on task. Felt I
had better rates running one radio, but the second radio sure helps fill dead
time.

Although I had my worst RU of the past four years, I did get WAS (ME W1SLF and
WV W8AKS were the last) and activity seemed pretty good with 20M and 40M packed
wall to wall. Even 15M was busy. Thanks to VE9DX for calling in on 40M in the
final few minutes for a nice new multiplier.

Year-over-year performance review:

2009    Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec   Cty Low power
         3.5     132     132    7    0 twin elevated verticals
           7     127     127    3    0 twin half-squares
          14     287     287   38    9 Tribander at 40'
          21     121     121    8    8
       Total     667     667   56   17 Raw: 48,691

2008    Band    QSOs    Pts  Sta   Cty  HIGH POWER
         3.5     151     151    4    0  Full-size delta loop
           7     225     225   11    5  Half-squares E-W + N-S
          14     308     308   36   13  Tribander at 45'
          21     118     118    4    3
       Total     802     802   55   21  Raw : 60,952

2007    Band    QSOs    Pts  Sta   Cty  HIGH POWER
         3.5     129     129    3    0  Full-size delta loop
           7     153     153    6    5  Pair of 40M delta loops
          14     392     392   39   11
          21     109     109    5    3
       Total     783     783   53   19  Raw : 56,376

2006    Band    QSOs    Pts  Sta   Cty  LOW POWER
         3.5     156     156    5    0  Pair of delta loops
           7     206     206    6    1  Pair of 40M delta loops
          14     322     322   16   21
          21     142     142   27    8
       Total     826     826   54   30  Raw : 69,384