[3830] RTTY Roundup KI5XP(@W5WMU) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cfmorris@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup KI5XP(@W5WMU) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 08:43:54 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KI5XP
Operator(s): KI5XP
Station: W5WMU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Lafayette, La.
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  244
   40:  816
   20:  971
   15:  204
   10:    1
------------
Total: 2236  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 64  Total Score = 272,792

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

What a great contest!  Participation must be at its greatest point ever, I can
only imagine what it would be like if we'd have an open shot to Europe for the
entire contest!  Come on sun!

Congrats to Ed for an AWESOME score.  I sure hope he gets bored of going down
there and winning this thing outright soon!

Had a severe storm move through about the time I moved for 40 on Saturday
night, so that wiped about an hour off of my 40 score.  20 turned out to be the
money band this year, which is surprising as usually 40 is the king.  I'd
planned on working until midnight local time Saturday and taking some time off,
but didnt stop until 2 am.  I then decided to go ahead and miss sunrise and came
back on at 6 am.  Signals were just coming up on 20, and 40 had replenished
itself with new calls to work.  S/P'ed a few on 80, and ran 40 until 20 opened.
 Stayed there until 15 opened, called CQ for about 10 minutes into no antenna,
no wonder signals were absent!  Duh!

Only a 3 Worked B4 messages.  The first guy reworked me after 1 protest, the
second said no, so I sent a message to remove the previous qso and qsy'ed.  The
last one came about 5 minutes left in the contest, so he'll lose that qso.  Like
someone previously stated, we have to try hard to stamp out these bad habits
such as answering with the complete exchange and the B4 message.

Just a few freq. fights that were for the most part easily avoided.  Newcomer
of the year award nominee goes to a 6 land M/S station who suddenly appeared on
my frequency after I'd logged about 200 qsos there, then showed real class.
Check YOUR VFO next time. How about working a few more contests before you call
someone out?

Score seems decent in light of the fact that I originally hadn't planned on
working this one.  Don had called and was worried he wouldn't have his station
ready in time, and was going to come operate at W5WMU's.  When he called back
and said he thought he was good to go, I got a last minute itch to work it.
Still several antennas missing, worked 40M JA's off of a 4 element 40 missing 2
elements.  20 was a single yagi NW and 1 high SWR stack NE, and 15 was a KT36,
because the stacks had fallen with the 15M tower during Gustav!  Darn
hurricanes!

Speaking of Dons, funny thing during the contest.  Now, apparently we dont have
to just deal with AA5AU and Mr. Dick AA5VU over in Texas, but now we've got
another Don, in Louisiana, who's call is AA5AT!  Back to back calls, same name,
same state, same contest.  Took me 4 repeats before I got AA5AT's call right!
Too many Louisiana Dons!

Thanks to Pat for the station and thanks to all for the QSO's.

Charlie
KI5XP
http://www.louisianacontestclub.org