[3830] RTTY Roundup W8JWN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tmartin@chartermi.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W8JWN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 06:41:42 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W8JWN
Operator(s): W8JWN
Station: W8JWN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  126
   40:  418
   20:  455
   15:   35
   10:    0
------------
Total: 1034  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 39  Total Score = 101,332

Club:

Comments:

SO2R:    FT-1000MP and Alpha 99 to 4 element StepIR at 72 feet, 80 meter Vee,
and 40 meter rotating dipole at 80 feet.

                FT-990 and SB-220 to trapped vertical, 80 meter sloper, and 40
meter sloping dipole at 68 feet.

I almost doubled my score from previous years because of improved SO2R
operation.  Also the use of a new 250 filter and my "Now" macro helped a great
deal.  I didn't miss any multipliers because of the "Now" macro.

I worked 50 states and 10 Canadian Providences.  My DX total was pathetic with
only 39 countries.  Where were the Caribbean stations this year?  Also, I
didn't hear many stations from Europe on 40 like previous years.  I was
surprised, however, to have a UX9 and 6W return my CQ on 40.

The StepIR in the Bi-Direction mode worked great for this contest.  I think I
made more contacts this year because of the new antenna.  My old HyGain 205-CA
wouldn't have done as well.  My vertical on the second radio was very
disappointing.  I had to place it between two trees and I'm sure they soaked up
a lot of RF.  Next year, it will be elevated above the house.  That is if the
XYL approves.  At least with the vertical, I had very little interference
between the two radios.

Again, I had a poor start.  Even though I sat on a frequency 20 minutes before
the start, I only made 37 Qs on 20.  I went to S and P for about 30 minutes to
get those contacts.  The next hour improved to 78 Qs by running on 20.  I don't
now what happens every year, during that first hour.

15 meters was poor from this latitude and 10 meters was dead.  I scanned 10
meters, with a third radio and never heard a diddle.

80 was down from previous years but 40 was better, even without the "shorty
forty" this year.  I decided not to put it above the StepIR because of wind
load.  I used the driven element of the 40 beam instead.

I hated to take a 4 hour nap because I was having so much fun!!!

Can't wait until next year.

Thanks to the WY station for giving me #50 in the last hours on Sunday.

73,

Tom W8JWN