[3830] RTTY Roundup W0SD M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0sd@triotel.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W0SD M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:42:26 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W0SD
Operator(s): W7XU, K0HW, W0SD
Station: W0SD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SD
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:  373
   40:  304
   20:  841
   15:   36
   10:    0
------------
Total: 1554  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 51  Total Score = 170,940

Club:

Comments:

We were most pleased with the two new K3's.  We continue to be frustrated by
what we consider to be a very poor rule, ie the 6 band changes for hour.  I
don't understand why single operators have unlimited band changes and with
multi-op you are limited to six band changes.  Getting rid of this rule would
give other stations more people to work on more bands and lets face it even
with being able to work people over on each band the rates can get very low
toward the end of the contest.  With more activity on RTTY this is not as bad
as it used to be. If the rule was did away with we sure could work a lot more
people. I think another reason to get rid of this rule is because there is no
multi-op, multi-transmitter category.  Obviously one one transmitter on the air
at a time but this is true for single op and would be true for multi-ops.  A
single op can alternate calling CQ on two bands, they can look for new stations
on other bands and work them. Just look at the results, it is pretty strange
when single op stations work more Q's and as many or more multipliers than
multi-ops.  As a multi-op we are hampered severely by this 6 band changes per
hour.  I think those of us operating Multi-op need to try and get this changed.
Writelog for example has a feature where first station wins so you can not get
two transmit signals on the band at the same time.  For us the six band changes
really often means working three people off the run band an hour because if you
leave the "run" frequency very long you lose it. During these low sunspot years
during the day 20 meters is really the only band that works as a run frequency
unless you get sporadic E on 15 meters.  Later at night 80 meters is really the
only frequency that works for us as a run band.  So the bottom line is the six
band changes per hour is even worse during the low sunspot years.  I hope some
of you will help us work to get this rule removed.  Multi-op should be the same
as single op, unlimited band changes.

We really struggled on 40 meters.  We have a 3 element full size beam at 70
feet and a two elemeht full size quad with the center at 90 feet fixed east and
we found the band to be way to long for the USA a lot of the time but it was
still horrible for DX so 40 was not good for us.  20 meters really saved the
day for us with not only QSO's but multipliers.  We were also happy with 80
meters but missed not having a good sporadic E opening on 15 meters.  Thanks to
all who worked us.  We found everyone to be very good operators and had no
trouble with people trying to take a frequency away like we did during SS, 160
and 10 meters so good job guys!!! People got very close but definitely not on
the frequency we were using.