[3830] RTTY Roundup K9YC Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K9YC Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 10:01:15 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  145
   40:  303
   20:  362
   15:  229
   10:    0
------------
Total: 1039  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 31  Total Score = 87,276

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I've worked only a few RTTY contests, and this is my most satisfying effort yet.
This was also my first attempt at SO2R with RTTY, using two K3/100s, two Ten Tec
Titan 425s, and two networked computers running N1MM. For all the protestations
from the N1MM developers about SO2R not being supported in this configuration,
it worked pretty well, even with the network being on a 802.11b wireless link
that wasn't all that solid. While the TX lockout wasn't perfect, that simply
required that my brain take care of that part of it. Antennas are all wire
dipoles, up about 100 ft in the tall redwoods.

Thanks to W0YK and N6DE for their considerable advice and encouragement.

I do agree with others who consider the requirement that off-times be taken in
only two blocks to be a rather bad idea. While I understand the intent, I think
the wording of the rule is poor, and I easily see issues with it if log-checking
software is not pretty smart about it. In my case, I chose to preserve good
relations with the XYL by taking two breaks to join her for meals. I also took
about 6 hours off for sleep. Others have noted taking time off to answer the
phone and getting stuck for more than a half hour. If the log checking software
is smart enough to simply take the two longest breaks, fine. If it isn't, it's
easy for an operator who has observed the INTENT of the rule to have a lot of
good Qs disqualified.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC