[3830] NAQP CW AE6RF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dkerns@cruzio.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AE6RF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:49:35 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: AE6RF
Operator(s): AE6RF
Station: AE6RF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 5

  160:
   80:  26     18
   40:  24     13
   20:  18     15
   15:   6      4
   10:
-------------------
Total:  74     50  Total Score = 3,700

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 7

Comments:

This was a "learning experience" day. I'd planned on spending most of the day
with my kids and operating the last 2 hours, but the family plans got chaotic,
allowing me to spend a couple hours on and off during the day.

Pick up the "cheap and easy" multipliers on 15m and 20m...

So, I'd planned on operating using my "new to me" FT-1000MP Mark V. But it has
had filter alignment issues. No worries, I'll drop in the FT-1000MP Mark V
Field...

But I couldn't get it to key. Frantic troubleshooting. Looks like a bad keying
connection in the cable. PUNT back to my stand-by IC-756ProII. It works.

But it's a NICE sunny day. The noisy solar inverters across the street start
getting LOTS of juice about 13:00 local time. "Turn off the radio in disgust"
levels of noise.

Take the time to swap in a new FT-1000 keying cable. CW keying is back. No
worries.

Hm, both radios and computers are on the same network. Figure out how to use
N1MM in multi-user mode so I can share the log without having to export/import
it. Futz for a while and get it working.

Until I "rescore" the contest. Then all my "single user" contacts disappeared.
Fortunately I'd had bad luck with this before and had saved ADIF and Cabrillo
files before futzing.

Finally got everything working, the kids to bed, and in the groove about 5:00Z.
Fortunately 80m was quiet and long. The Field was working well and I got to
enjoy myself for about 45 minutes.

After the contest I learned about N1MM's "Recover QSOs from a Transaction
Log..." feature. Thank goodness! I was able to stitch everything back together
again. (And in the mean time discover how we could have recovered from a major,
similar QLF last year.)

So, did some troubleshooting, got some points, made some Q's, spent time with
kids, and learned something cool about the logger.

All to the plus, right? Nah. Frustrating as HECK!

73 de Donald