[3830] NAQP CW N5DO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5do@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N5DO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 07:16:01 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   41    24
   80:  173    42
   40:  261    48
   20:  362    50
   15:   30    16
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  867   180  Total Score = 156,060

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Pickers

Comments:

Despite Murphy striking (twice) I had lots of fun.  Three hours in a row with
great rate when I moved to 40M.  I started as SO2R, but had to switch to SO1R
when Murphy visited the first time.  I was using my new K3 as the run radio,
and when I noticed 15M open I decided to move the K3 to 15 to begin trying to
run there.  As soon as I moved the K3 it put out 0 watts.  I wasn't
particularly worried since I figured that I pressed the wrong button somewhere.
 I should have stopped operating and taken my first break at that point to try
to figure things out, but instead I kept operating and trying to fix the K3 at
the same time.  Eventually I discovered that if I lowered the power below 12
watts it worked fine, so I think I blew up the 100W module.  I'll talk to K3
tomorrow to see about getting it fixed (or maybe I did press the wrong button).
 Anyway my rate dropped during the two hours I was messing with the K3 and they
were my slowest hours of the whole contest; after I made the mental switch to
SO1R and used my FT1000MP as the run radio everything was fine again.

Murphy next struck when I went to 160M.  I use a shortened half-sloper on 160M
and I spent several hours last weekend laying down some additional radials.
When I tried it out during the week using the K3 everything worked fine.  When
I went to 160M last night I found that I locked up the keying circuit on the
computer, and consequently the rig.  I discovered that everything worked fine
if I kept the power below 40W, so that's what I did.  I was lucky in one
respect in that unlike N5AW/0 I don't have an alarm system to be triggered and
bring the police to  my house in the middle of the night!  (Sorry Marv, but the
image of that did a lot to cheer up my mood -- misery does love company!)