[3830] NAQP CW WA6L Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa6l@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW WA6L Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 07:35:47 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: WA6L
Operator(s): WA6L
Station: WA6L

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 5.5

  160:   45    21
   80:   11    10
   40:   62    32
   20:   95    39
   15:   26    16
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  240   119  Total Score = 28,560

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #4

Comments:

I knew I wasnâ??t going to be able to work the entire contest, but my time was
cut even further by an emergency trip to the veterinarian.  $600 and several
hours later, the cat and I returned home; having missed some great upper-band
operating time.

When I did get home, the Descanso area was facing 60-70 mph winds.  The
capacitance hat came off my vertical, leaving me without 80m and with limited
40m.   The winds were coming from the northeast, and I could NOT rotate my beam
into the wind.  It just wouldnâ??t go.  So I ran the rest of the day with the
beam pointed southwest, and working off the back of the beam.  It actually
seemed to work pretty well.

So with all that said, I had a pretty good time.  The only real problem I had
with the back-of-the-beam was into parts of the Midwest.  I never heard any NE,
SD, ND, or WY.  I had no problem getting to the East Coast.

20m died quickly, as did 40m.  However, the 160m band seemed to open early.  Or
perhaps it was because it was the only low-band antenna I still had standing.
At any rate, I had 45 Qs and 21 mults was fun.

I wish I could have done better for the SCCC team.  I guess I can blame the
cat.  Thanks to everyone for the Qs, and to K6AM for my only 10m contact.

Elecraft K3 at 100w, T-11 Log Periodic pointed backwards for 10-20m.  Long
sloper off the tower for 40m and 160m.  It loaded on 80m but nobody heard me.