[3830] NAQP SSB W5WMU M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cfmorris@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W5WMU M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:57:33 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W5WMU
Operator(s): W5WMU, KI5XP
Station: W5WMU

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Lafayette, La.
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:  277    46
   80:  750    54
   40:  768    57
   20:  727    55
   15:   19     3
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 2541   215  Total Score = 546,315

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

What a fun contest!  An early morning phone call from work almost derailed our
M/2 effort, but I managed to wrap that up in enough time to get out and get
ready.  That coupled with the fact that I'd started coming down with a cold on
Friday really made for a hairy start!

Dan W5XZ, with a renewed interest in contesting, probably should be on the list
of ops, although he wasn't here.  Dan came out for a few 160 contests and really
spurred us on to concentrating on Top Band antennas, and boy do they work!  We
strung 2 beverages, and turned a seldom used 160 dipole into a sloper, and it
probably made the most difference in our score.  Never have we attempted as
many q's on Top Band as we did on this one.  The steady operating by Pat gained
us all of the q's on that band, as I ran the others.

Big high five goes out to the NX5M team, as its been great getting to know Bob
better.  Our back and forth efforts have really spurred us on to improve our
scores on both teams.  Its funny how it seems the q's has always made the
difference, with us having more q's last year in Jan, and they killing us in
q's as we tried to concentrate on mults in August.  It again flip flopped with
them besting us on mults and us getting a few more q's.  Wait until the high
bands open up!  I have personally never operated this contest with a steady 10
and 15 meter opening, so Im squirming, waiting on them to open!

This one showed how some bands are open and some aren't and as such, you need
to be aware of it.  How many times have I ever made more q's on 80 then 20??
Thats crazy!  40 was steady as always, and although we havent fully recovered
from Gustav, the NW 40 4-el, which is missing one half of the director, and the
opposite other half of the director (with 2 driven elements remaining), played
awesome!  The big DX-Engineering 3-El NE 40, as always, was a steady performer.
 Running both 20 and 40 in split mode, pointing in both directions played
awesome.  Swapping them to null the qrm from time to time, I'd forget it
pointing in the wrong direction.  I'd work the east coast and then have a 7
land call, whoops!

Thanks to all for the q's, and hopefully I didnt ask for too many repeats with
a headcold that all but plugged my ears worse then any QRM possible.

Hope to see yall all in Dayton this year, as its really been great actually
talking to the familiar calls instead of just rtty keyboarding with yall!

73
Charlie
KI5XP