[3830] LQP N6ZFO

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] LQP N6ZFO
From: Bill Haddon <haddon.bill@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:13:20 -0800
Callsign = N6ZFO
Name = BILL
QTH = CA
Output Power 40m = 80
Output Power 80m = 80
Antenna 40m = 40 M DE Zepp 55 feet
Antenna 80m = 40 M DE Zepp 55 feet
Total QSOs = 43
Total QSO Points = 43000
Bonus Points K6VVA = 5000
Bonus Points Secret Swarmer #1 = 5000 N4AF
Bonus Points Secret Swarmer #2 = 5000 N3BB
Total LQP Points = 58000
NCCC Member (W6/W7) Entrant =No
LQP/NCCC NS NOOB Entry = No
LQP GREEN POWER Entry = Yes, PV into batteries
Checklog Only = No
Soapbox = Congrats on 52 years on the air!  40m was challenging in
part because new QTH is 100 mi from Bay Area.. . K6VVA and K6XX
somehow heard me!   I was grateful for the rubber band rule for the
end of the contest.  In the next to the last QSO, Saul K2XA got my
call wrong., and by the time we got the mess straightened out, there
was just 20 seconds or so left. W5TM answered in the nick of time,
maybe with 10 seconds left.  So the logged Q shows a legal 1552.

Re Green operation: Pre-contest I discussed with Locust the possible need
for a more comprehensive definition of Green for PV systems that are
also grid tied. My fallback position was to  disconnect the
commercial power feed during the contest thus qualifying the station
as Green under LQP rules.  But a well designed system in which PV
power is generated in excess of  power needed for house consumption and
battery charging will be grid-tied so that excess power can be "sold", or more
exactly, credited.  In a typical sunny winter day our household useage is
5-8 KWH.  However we generate >12 KWH.  At night the system
buys power from PG&E rather than drawing down the batteries.  That
is the proper mode of operation.  That configuration  is not
compatible with the LQP  rules, but averaged over many months, we are
a net electrical generator.

The contest was fun in part because it is relatively  easy . . no SO2R,
no mults to chase, no band hopping etc.

Looking forward to a big push on the NS Ladder competition this spring,
which will be our 6th year. (see www.ncccsprint.com )

73 Bill n6zfo at Mt. Dali Dona