[3830] CQ160 CW K4LY Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K4LY Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:11:45 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 22

Total:  QSOs = 605  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 64  Total Score = 283,320

Club: Carolina DX Assn

Comments:

Was this fun!  By now everyone knows conditions were super. I operated assisted
for the first time.  While others perhaps have moved on to CW skimmers, I used
for the first time in a contest the N1MM bandmap with internet.  What a ball!
It was like a video game, Pacman comes to mind, trying to work everything in
the bandmap. Once you work a station, it never appears again in the bandmap,
and a truly big gun could work the bandmap until it's white- no stations at
all- except newbies being spotted.  Well, I'm no big gun and the bandmap always
had plenty of new stations to try to work.  I did not try to maximize my score
by calling CQ (just for a few minutes on 4 occasions) or even doing much tuning
so the many stations not spotted, no doubt the majority, probably didn't make in
to the log.  My goal was to see how many countries I could work with a fairly
marginal setup, a sloping inverted L that is tied into my multiband Hygain
Hytower at the 12' level and runs at a 45 degree angle up to the 63' foot level
on my tower 50' away and then over to the 63' level on my VHF tower.  With the
Hytower only 50' from a curving lane on one side and my house on the other,
there is only room for 50' radials over 180 degrees with some longer ones in
other directions.  I'm using two KAZ receive antennas, one favoring NE and the
other NW.  The super stations (those with good 4-squares, etc,) work the DX
first or second call.  The big guns (with 1/4 wave verticals, lots of radials
and good locations work the DX pretty quickly.  Then I work the DX!  Or try to.
 I eventually worked almost everything I heard (over 200 Europeans, I think)
with the exception of several Europeans that didn't hear well. I probably heard
a half dozen or so countries I didn't work.  Thanks for the Qs.  Was this fun!