[3830] CQ160 CW N6RV Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kendrick.w@ca.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N6RV Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:39:08 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N6RV
Operator(s): N6RV
Station: N6RV

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Los Angeles
Operating Time (hrs): 17:36

Total:  QSOs = 320  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 22  Total Score = 67,200

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
IC 756 PRO II !00 W Barefoot
FT 1000MP MK V 200 W barefoot
Shunt-fed LM-470 tower
Writelog

What great conditions! I worked 10 new countries! I worked solid stations from
both Europe and Africa! I do not think I will see this again in my life time.
Even the stations who only poked through the noise with the 120 Hz filter in
came back in very short order. It is a credit to the 3 DB more transmit power
on this side and the significant antenna investments by many of the DX
contesters! Well done!

I have to apologize to all the DX I attempted to work on 160M over the past
several years. I have been severely handicapped. You see I have been using the
PRO II on 160 almost exclusively. I remember a few years back I connected the
antenna to the MK V and noticed that signals that were 3 dB below imagination
on the PRO II were very readable on the MK V, I mean head and shoulders above
the PRO II. During those long slow periods in the middle of the last two nights
when the band is worked out and I was barely conscious I began imagining how
many DX stations were frustrated by my continual calling. When they responded I
was no where to be found. Fortunately I was running 100 W and most DX did not
hear me. Having been on the DX end I have held complete conversations, one way
albeit, on 160 with operators back home telling them you are not copying me and
their response was thanks for the 59 03. I recall one who I moved down to 160
from 75. After went met again on 75 I told him he did not hear a word I said
and if he claims me in his log I will remove all his contacts from mine. To
make a long story even longer when I hooked up the MK V I suddenly realized why
all the locals worked DX and I didn't. I am talking about more than 10 dB! After
the switch I could not resist the extra 50 watts (actually 100 W, 50 W over the
LP limit) and I decided to switch to SO Assisted HP. Unfortunately the MK V was
not set up for computer control. I will fix this ASAP. A simple serial cable
will do the trick. Nevertheless Writelog still populates the band map with
calls from the internet cluster. I found this very interesting since I normally
operate SOLP and all spotting is shut down. In spite of the almost instantaneous
station improvement K6NA, K6SRZ, and N6RO were working things I could only
imagine hearing! Maybe in a few years I will move to a place with more space.

I wish I had discovered this a few years ago. I really was blaming the shunt
fed tower!