[3830] CQ160 CW KL7RA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kl7ra@ptialaska.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW KL7RA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:39:47 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): KL7RA
Station: KL7RA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Alaska
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1404  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 57  Total Score = 992,370

Club:

Comments:

As been reported, bands were excellent. Oh Nine WW 160 CW will go down in
History.160 has been very good to Europe all week and I was worried it would
peak too early and in fact it probably did but we had a great first day. The
end of the second day we were back to 6 Q's a hour and begging but I'm use to
that. I usually can use my full size 1/4 wave vertical for receive which is
really nice here in Alaska as you can work the pile regardless of the prop
direction and we usually have two directions going here at once and sometimes
three when the band is this good. Bad luck as heavy winds starting blowing
light snow against the vertical making it useless because of the snow static so
I had to use the receive antennas which works great but cuts what I hear in the
pile in half. Or thirds. I often camped out low in the band but that requires a
lot of work defending a good freq. Trying to work the really weak stations makes
the freq sound quite and quickly attracts CQ's. About 10 seconds is all you
usually get. A bad spot brings a blast of "loud" stations you have already
worked, also in about 10 seconds. When I'm tuning up the band working mults the
process starts where stations tying to get my attention will get ahead of me and
dump my call and theirs. I tune the dial to hear the original owner of the freq
telling me to QSY and I haven't even been there yet. We call this radio
contesting and it sure is fun. The new contest director is Andy, N2NT and I'm
sure he is pleased with the conditions, maybe not so much when he starts
working on the huge log files. He does have his staff and the BARC so all is
well. 73 Rich, KL7RA