[3830] CQ160 CW W3A(W3DQ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3dq@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W3A(W3DQ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:19:32 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W3A
Operator(s): W3DQ
Station: W3A

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 7

Total:  QSOs = 421  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 25  Total Score = 101,024

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Being off the air for 8+ months, I hadn't planned on being on for this one. But
the lure (and multiple challenges) of 160, having a special event callsign (W3A
QSL information is on the NW3DC page on QRZ.COM), and likely being the only one
on from this mult, I couldn't stay away.

I cobbled the station together, but never got the RX antennas up or the
bandpass filters installed. My inability to hear the weak ones was obvious, and
I apologize to all who called (and called and called) to no avail. And apologies
to all whose calls I busted.  I clearly need to practice more and be better
prepared!

My operating strategy was wrong. I ran *way* too much, and missed states I
could have worked had I S&P'd more: AR, DC, KS, SD and WY, and too many
Canadians, including VE4. Timing and home schedules being what they were, I
also missed the EU openings and KL7RA early Saturday and Sunday mornings local
time.

Having said that, I had -- as always -- a great time.

I'll be back as W3DQ for the "three weekend contest orgy" next month: ARRL DX
CW, CQ 160 SSB and ARRL DX SSB.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC