[3830] NA Sprint CW W5ZL LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W5ZL LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 10:38:58 -0800 (PST)
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W5ZL
Operator(s): W5ZL
Station: W5ZL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 3:25

   80:   88    1:30
   40:   70    1:10
   20:   48     :45
---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: CTDXCC Dashers

Comments:

Talk about your "just-in-time" operations. Slept off the previous day's long
trip home from KH6, then got a call from a buddy to go play golf Saturday
afternoon (you just HAVE to do these things). Rolling back in  about 10 minutes
before 0000Z, I flipped on the radio and heard teammate W5JAW in warm-up mode -
saying hello to him distracted me from getting the logging software set up
(doh!). Finally got everything working about 3 mins into the contest and played
hard on 20 to make the most of a band where I have a real antenna before it went
away. Though 20 was fairly productive, it was mult-limited (mostly CA and Pac
NW) and thinned out pretty quickly. My antenna quality drops like a rock as I
go down in frequency. Stayed on 40 for about the next hour and then went to 80
for the remainder. I hadn't really planned a full out effort for the sprint,
but was having too much fun to quit. I took a half hour out to eat dinner
(yeah, I know - I'm a slacker),then finished things off. 80 is usually a very
poor band for me, but I seemed to be heard a little better than usual,
especially in the last hour when things had settled out a little. With my
sub-par antenna and 100 watts I don't expect to, nor do I, win many jump balls
on the low bands.

GREAT fun, though, and terrific CW ops.

Radio: IC-756 Pro II
Antennas: Tennadyne T-11 LPDA at 51' for 20M, W9INN multi-band dipole for
30-160, center at 50', sloping down to near ground level.
N1MM Logger.