[3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W6YX(N7MH) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:51:02 -0800 (PST)
                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

   80:  116    1:32
   40:  127    1:30
   20:   83    0:58
---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 1

Comments:

After having been at the station on Thursday evening for the NS I assumed that
set-up would be minimal.  Other commitments delayed my arrival until about 15
minutes before the start.  I hooked up cabling for SO2R - bandpass filters and
an audio switch, rotated antennas towards the east and I thought I was set with
a couple minutes to go.

Then I listened to the radios and the right radio had no signals and I couldn't
figure out what was wrong, so I settled down to a 1-radio Sprint again.  After
the contest I figured out that the radio was listening to a receive antenna but
the K9AY switch didn't have an antenna selected.

I missed the first minute trying to get the second radio working but after that
the first half hour was very productive on 20.  The second half hour was slower,
but when I had a 3 minute gap at 0050 followed by multiple one-minute gaps I
knew it was time to go to 40.

Everyone was on 40 by then and most signals were strong so the first hour there
was great.  I wanted to stay on 40 until about 0240, but by 0220 I was only
finding 1 to 3 new stations each time I tuned the entire band.

On 80 I had to turn down the RF Gain and switch in 12 dB of attenuation because
half the band was being wiped out by a couple of locals.  Even when there was no
interference it always seemed like QSB would hit right when the other station
was sending the number.

QSOs per hour were 85, 98, 71, 72.  I think the 98 hour is my best hour ever in
a Sprint.

-Mike, N7MH