[3830] NA Sprint SSB KA9FOX HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka9fox@qth.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB KA9FOX HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:43:00 -0800 (PST)
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: KA9FOX
Operator(s): KA9FOX
Station: KA9FOX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 4:00

   80:   89
   40:   78
   20:   77
---------------------

Club:

Team: SMC #1

Comments:

Seems like SSB Sprint participation has been down the last couple years, and
this contest was no exception.  Compounding the problem, this contest was
directly conflicting with:

1) Valentine's Day (XYL let me move our night to Friday!)
2) CQ WPX RTTY Contest
3) K5D DXpedition activity

And conditions were stinky to boot.  If this sounds like I'm complaining...
well, maybe a little.  But Sprint is still my favorite contest.  :-)

Lots of great scores out there... Congrats to KH7XS, K7SS, N6KT@W6NL (his first
Sprint??) and W9RE.  Was neat to hear all the Bills to honor recent sk K0ZL.

Missed a lot of mults:  AK, AR, IA, KY, ME, MI, MS, ND, NH, RI, SD, VT, WV,
VE1/2/4/5/6/8.

DX mults worked:  CO, C6, VP2E, KP5  (K5D op WB9Z, who was happy to give me
Sprint QSO #1 -- how many other future Sprints will I work a KP5?? LOL)

Oh, here's a nice bonehead move during the contest... When I moved to 40, I
sensed something was not right... signals were way down, but people were
hearing me fine, and SWR was OK.  Figured out eventually that I was listening
on my pseudo-beverage I have in a tree line here.  Oops!  Not sure how many Qs
that cost me.

KA9FOX Station (SO1R):

Rig:  FT-1000MP
Amp:  AL-1200
20m & 40m Ant: C4XL @ 95' (+ multi-band fan dipole @ 40')
80m Ant: F12 EF-180C @ 105' (also used this on 20 a few times)
Pics: http://www.qth.com/ka9fox/gallery

I'm helping K4MA with the NCJ write-up of this contest, so if you have anything
to share, drop me a note!

73 - Scott KA9FOX
ka9fox@qth.com