[3830] ARRLDX CW N7ZG(@N7WA) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N7ZG(@N7WA) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:35:44 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7ZG
Operator(s): N7WA N7ZG
Station: N7WA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: WWA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   33    16
   80:  167    39
   40:  355    64
   20:  560    88
   15:   69    32
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1184   239  Total Score = 845,343

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Normally I do this one as SOAB LP but Dink, N7WA offered to host a M/S at his
place.   He has put quite a bit of work into his station over the past year
(most notable is a 3el yagi for 40M that he cobbled together from a 4el).   It
was the first real contest "test drive".   I'm not sure if it was great condx
on 40 or the antenna (perhaps both), but our QSO total on 40 is proof in the
pudding so to speak.  A good portion of those QSO's are EU which is not easy
from the Pac NW.

The original plan was to shoot for 600 Q's and 125 mults.   We almost doubled
both.   The plan was to bypass 20 till Sat morning and focus on the low bands
for the first 12 or so hours.   This was because the A index was forecast to be
"unsettled" for day two.   This seems to have been a good strategy.   We'll see
how other stations fared to confirm this.

The first night netted some EU contacts.   This is very difficult due to the
polar path but we managed about 4 or so Q's into the western part of EU.
Perhaps the most rewarding part was being able to actually run EU on 20.   I
had a small run going on Sat morning while Dink nice pile for a half hour or so
on Sunday.   I was able to get a mini run going on Sat morning while pointing
the 40M beam long path.   I was getting calls from EU, JA and deep Asia for
quite awhile.   A station from South Africa even called in during that time.
It was memorable.   Good fun.  A review of the NOAA space weather site
indicates that the A index topped out at a max of 5.   Not perfect but enough
to support a weekend of good radio fun.

We worked a good number of JA's.   A fair number of those called in with QRP
power levels on 40 and 80 with good signals.  I even had a VU and a JT call in
during my Sat evening JA run.  I always enjoy the politeness and efficiency of
JA ops.

Many thanks to Mike and Diane Dinkelman for letting me crash their party and
for the usual hospitality.

73 - Guy, N7ZG