[3830] ARRLDX CW KE7X(@K0PP) SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fcady@ieee.org
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KE7X(@K0PP) SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:59:51 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KE7X
Operator(s): KE7X
Station: K0PP

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Montana
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:  70     31
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  70     31  Total Score = 6,510

Club:

Comments:

Well, now I remember why I donâ??t contest on 160!  24 hours plus operating = 70
Qs (62 first night, 8 second) and 31 multipliers.

I was sure hoping that conditions would be like 27 days ago in the CQ160
contest but they sure werenâ??t. I operated at K0PPs place with pretty good
vertical system. I had a loop for the main receiver and I used a 80m zepp at
65â?? through a tuner for a second receive antenna to use diversity with the
K3.

The second receiver in the K3 is terrific. I spent most of each night calling
CQ using one VFO and scanning the band with the other. The N1MM interface
(which has a little bug if you donâ??t check Dual rx always on) worked great.
You can crtl right and left arrow back and forth and when you switch to the
second rx it puts the radio into split so you transmit on the secondâ??s
frequency while you can continue to listen to your CQ freq. Ctrl left arrow
puts you back to the original frequency and takes it out of split. Slick!

Iâ??m also now a BIG fan of diversity receiving. There were a lot of JAs that
were really weak (one running 50 watts) and switching on the diversity mode let
me copy the calls with no problem. The diversity setup probably wasnâ??t
optimal. Iâ??m not sure what polarity the loop antenna was (it was vertically
oriented) and the zepp signal levels were down quite a bit from the loop
although there was more noise. The way the K3 is set up I could do diversity
with the loop and the zepp or the vertical and the zepp. I didnâ??t do much
with the vertical. Mostly left the receive antenna on.

Great time even considering the low Q total.