[3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W2UP SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:16:02 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W2UP

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   32    32
   80:  186    55
   40:  361    81
   20:  558    85
   15:   70    45
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1207   298  Total Score = 1,076,376

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Limited time this weekend.  Low bands were great.  Maybe sunspots will reappear
one day, but that won't do me any good.

This contest marks the end of an era for me.  My days of single-op contesting
days are finished.  Next month, the tower comes down.  This summer, we will be
moving to a condo in Colorado, where hopefully, I can put up a few wires, just
like my first 20 years of hamming.  I've been doing this for almost 40 years
and still remember my first contest, which I happened upon by accident - the
1970 Novice Roundup.  I heard many calls of CQ NR and wondered what "CQ Number"
meant.  So, I answered the CQ NR of WN2LQZ (who?) and he explained it to me.

In the early years, I contested casually from home, and while in college in the
mid 70s, with some serious ops at W2SZ and W2PV.  In 1990, I moved to my current
QTH and the station grew, culminating in a somewhat competitive, single-tower,
SO2R station.  I have to single out and thank Chas, K3WW, for inspiration and
education.  I never imagined being able to compete with ironman Chas' lofty SOA
scores, but eventually, I beat him and won the SOA category - twice in CQWW CW
and twice in ARRL CW.  Over the years, I picked his brain, and he shared his
rate sheets and logs without hesitation.  Thanks Chas!

73,
Barry, W2UP

P.S. If any ham is interested in buying my QTH, I have a brief description at
eham.net classified ads in the Ham Homes category.  We'll be listing it with a
realtor next month.