[3830] ARRLDX CW VY1EI SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VY1EI@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VY1EI SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:36:25 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VY1EI
Operator(s): VY1EI
Station: VY1EI

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Yukon
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:   23    16
   20:  259    63
   15:   19    14
   10:
-------------------
Total:  301    93  Total Score = 83,700

Club:

Comments:

I had alot of fun this contest. Easy DX without unruly pileups. I couldn't get a
run going into Europe. I made six DL stations came back to me, that was it. I
had to S&P for almost all my European contacts. I had a couple good runs into
Japan in the late Afternoon on Friday and Saturday. During those runs a few VK
and ZL stations called in. Its great to have those stations trying to get me
instead of the opposite.

Conditions to Europe were good Saturday morning. Getting through the light
pileups was rather easy. Getting contacts in the Caribbean in the early
afternoon was fairly easy too. Their signals were strong  and I usually got
through within 3 calls.

Getting a run going to the Caribbean and South America was frustrating because
every 2 or 3 minutes a station from the lower 48 would call in, thinking I was
DX. I guess being next to Alaska, which is DX, confuses what is DX. Overall, I
had around 60 stations from the lower 48 call in. I just politely stated that I
wasn't DX and resumed my CQ.

I got a 40 meter dipole option added to cushcraft AS-3. Big difference from a
regular dipole. European contacts were coming in fairly strong and I never got
that with a wire. I tried to set up a vertical for 80 and 160 during the days
before the contest, but the -20 windchill drove me nuts. I decided to wait till
its above freezing before I try to install it again.

A KH6 station refused my QSO, don't know why. I just laughed.

I got 63 countries on 20 meters. Sweet. My overall QSO numbers should be alot
higher, though. Just couldn't get a run going into Europe.

PJ2T sent an email with two pictures of their caribbean setup. I responded with
a picture of my setup in the snowy Yukon. Neat contrast.

See you call in the phone version, work permitting.

Eric
VY1EI