[3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WO1N SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:15:54 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   75    44
   20:  101    51
   15:   25    14
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  201   109  Total Score = 65,727

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig : FT1000D
 Antennas : C3-SS @ 38', Cushcraft R7

 Soapbox :

 I've recently finished a major remodel of the basement area near where my
shack is located, as a result my shack has been packed in boxes since I
started the effort last May. So the goals for this contest were to de-louse
the
shack area and get the shack set up, do at least 500Q's on 40 - 10M from my
home
station and support K0TV doing the overnight lowband shifts.

Goal one: Getting the shack set up. Started Wednesday afterwork, finished
about
0300Z the night of the contest even haven taken Friday off from work. The
rotator wouldn't turn so the tribander was stuck on South and I had no keying
interface that would work with my new computer (had forgot about that detail).
But let's claim goal one accomplished. Put about 25 S&P Qs in the log and then
headed out to K0TV's after a quick nap. Overnight on 80M presented
stellar conditions. We worked into Eu hours after they were in sunlight.
Headed
home when the morning crew showed up, put a few quick Qs in the
log then hit the sack.

Over the course of the day I would sit down at the radio, set a short term
goal, accomplish it, then go off and work issues. A couple of tower climbs
to try to solve the rotator problem yielded no solutions. Of special interest
was 20M that just went magical right at our dusk. I had been using the
tribander most of the day even though it was stuck south as the R7 was a bit
more noisy. At dusk suddenly the noise level dropped to S0 on the R7 and I was
able to put several JAs, Asiactic Russia, KL7 and KH6 in the log in short
order
with 150W. After 20 was worked out I moved down and swept 40 which was
in fine shape rewarding me with C4, A71 and 4X contacts. I hit 200Q's and
thought to myself that 500Qs should be a piece of cake during Sunday. I took
a break for dinner.

 That, my friends, was the end of my contest. An delicious Italian calzone for
dinner set me off on a gall bladder attack that landed me in the hospital
emergency room at 4 AM for surgery to have it removed. Two days later, I'm
feeling great!

It is so great to have the shack back on line and that constant ache in my
upper right abdomen gone for good.....

CU on the bands,

Ken
WO1N