[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6TN SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve6tn@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VE6TN SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 23:27:47 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6TN
Operator(s): VE6TN
Station: VE6TN

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:    1     1
   80:    6     6
   40:   27    20
   20:  358    91
   15:   77    28
   10:
-------------------
Total:  469   146  Total Score = 201,918

Club: Alberta Clippers

Comments:

This is my first contest in a long time.  I started out just doing some dx'ing,
but the band turned out to be so HOT on Saturday that I quickly got addicted
and abandoned most plans for other things.

Just to be clear about this, Friday night (the beginning of the contest) was
our 25th anniversary.  We had big plans for dinner at a fancy restaurant.  I
gave my wife "new" rings.  We are talking very expensive "Canadian" diamonds"!
OK, so I am getting cut a lot of slack from her for my radio hobby when she
wears more $$$$ on her finger than all my radio gear combined!  :-)

We got back from dinner and early Saturday morning (5AM) I couldn't sleep so I
got up and checked the bands and they were very good.  I spent all morning and
day on the radio having fun.  Later we went to an amateur radio dinner and
visited with some friends.  I am sure I missed a lot of excellent contact
opportunities to build my score, but we had fun and that's what counts.

Sunday was very poor overall and a big comedown and disappointment from the
propagation of Saturday.

Running barefoot (100W) with my IC-7000 is an exercise in frustration trying to
Run.  An amplifier is very much a necessity.  My L4-B needs some repair.  Next
year I think I will try the HP category.

All-in-all this was a great contest weekend.  The kind that keeps you coming
back.

Barry - VE6TN
IC-7000
X7 at 56'