[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1UR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N1UR SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 06:05:11 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 41.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   37    29
   80:  156    58
   40:  224    63
   20: 1081    95
   15:  106    46
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total: 1606   293  Total Score = 1,401,942

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Its all in the mind.  If you come to this contest with the right
expectations and challenges for yourself, its fun.  If you come
with a "why does this suck?" attitude, guess what? it sucks.

The combination of my new 3el M2 40M and the noticeable changes
on 40M in the 7125 to 7200 segement (although far from clear yet),
combined to give me the highest (like double) the number of Qs
ever for me on 40M for this contest...in fact probably for ANY
DX SSB contest.  However, not without "issue".

I started on 40M had a great 30 min opening run putting about
40 Qs into the log before it dropped away.  A problem appeared
around 05Z and the 40M 3el was totally dead...oh NOOOO!  A quick
check with my Analyzer confirmed that the problem was likely
right at the Hardline to coax interface and that the dense, water
logged snow had likely pulled it apart.  So, the decision was
made to grab a flashlight and to walk the 10 mins up the ridge
in the snow and fix it.  I did so after EU sunrise at about 0730Z.

Back in the shack 30 mins later and its working great.  Then
another issue emerges, I try and turn the antenna to EU around 08Z
and nothing doing.  Its stuck West.  I could tell it was trying to
move but couldn't.   CRAP...a nice 3 el beam pointed the wrong way
for 80% of my Qs (I have a fixed 2el south).  Well, I decided to
wait on that until Saturday.

Saturday 20M opening was FANTASTIC.  Best hour on SSB EVER
with a 145 hour at 12Z.  In fact, I had 4 hours over 100 for 11
- 14Z.  Scanning 15, it didn't sound good so I stayed on 20.
Rate meter hit 200 a number of times..just crazy using 150W.  I
had a number of reports indicating that the 4/4 on the ridge was
"equal" to the big boys right at the 11Zish time.  Really a
gratifying statement.

Well, I got a lull around 17Z and it was 40F outside and sunny.
So I grabbed the belt and did the 70 foot climb.  Immediately
apparent, the small Yaesu rotor has just been "overwhelmed" this
winter by the 6 el 10 and 3 el "big boy" 40M it is turning. It
"gave up the ghost" as they say.  So, I loosened the antenna,
turned to to EU, and bolted it down.  Luckily, I already had
KH6, VK, and ZL, and KL7 in the log on 40.

The 40 run that evening was diappointing actually.  But I had a
fantastic closing run from 22Z - 2330Z on 40 putting 100Qs in the
log and about half a dozen mults calling in.

15M was just terrible here.  I had essentially nothing on it to EU
going into SUnday and decided that as soon as I heard anybody
Sunday, I was "committed to that band".  That started around 1230Z
and the rate was already dropping on 20 after another 95 hour at
the opening bell.

I was CQing and tuning the band.  I had a total of 8 - 10
5B4.  Never worked any DL, I, 9A, S5 the list goes on.  Worked a few
F, G, CT, and EA.  That was about it.  Plus a few Africans mixed in.

10M was about as close to a wipe out as you can get.  I tuned it
frequently.  I FINALLY heard TI5N and worked him 2nd call at 2130Z Sun
and interestingly heard 3 other TI stations but none could hear me.
I also worked YN2.  I heard HP1, PY, an LU but none could hear me.
I kept tuning until 2245Z and never heard anything else.  Not sure if
I missed any after that or not.  I doubt it though as the band never
really opened here.  Even the Qs I had were "few minute" openings.

Well, I have some work to do out there as the weather allows before
WPX, but....I love this game!

73

Ed  N1UR