[3830] ARRLDX SSB K5TR(WM5R) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wm5r@wm5r.org
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K5TR(WM5R) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:50:41 -0700
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): WM5R
Station: K5TR

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  359    72
   10:
-------------------
Total:  359    72  Total Score = 77,544

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

The station at K5TR
-------------------

 15 meters:
   - six element 36' boom Yagi at 70', rotatable
   - six element 36' boom Yagi at 35', fixed NE
   - four element Cushcraft Yagi at 50', fixed SE
   - two element Force 12 2/2 WARC band antenna at 60', fixed SE

 Radio 1:  Kenwood TS-850SAT, Ameritron AL-1500
 Radio 2:  Kenwood TS-850SAT, Ameritron AL-1500
 Headset:  Heil Proset HC-4
 DVK:      W9XT Contest Card
 Software: TR Log 6.78
 Other:    Ameritron RCS-8V antenna switches, ICE bandpass
           filters, Top Ten Devices Band Decoders, homebrew
           audio switchbox

Conditions seemed promising just before the start of the contest,
with loud JAs coming in.  But, it was not to be.  The opening to
Japan started to close right before the contest start and conditions
to the west and northwest were awful all weekend.  I worked only
seven JAs all contest, and no other stations in east Asia.
Saturday's morning opening to Europe was much better than Sunday's,
but neither were very deep or lasted very long.  Aside from two
very weak Hungarians, I worked nobody in eastern Europe, and made
only two QSOs to all of Scandinavia.  Two Israelis and a station
on Crete were nice surprises, but I never heard a station in the
Balkans or north Africa.

George set me up with two radios, one of which used a WARC band
antenna designed for 17 meters and 12 meters on an 8' boom that
happened to have acceptable (2:1 or so) SWR over much of the band.
That became my S&P rig to South America.  It worked surprisingly well
for what it was.

About one out of every six QSOs was a zero-pointer this year.

Continent List
==============

  USA calls   =     61
  VE calls    =      8
  N.A. calls  =     55
  S.A. calls  =    139
  Euro calls  =    105
  Afrc calls  =      7
  Asia calls  =      2
  JA calls    =      7
  Ocen calls  =     44

  Total calls =    428

Rate Sheet
==========

HR      15    CUM TOTAL  SCORE
--   -------- ---------  -----
 0     50/12     50/12   0.00M
 1      8/0      58/12   0.00M
 2      2/0      60/12   0.00M
 3      1/1      61/13   0.00M
 4      ---      61/13   0.00M
 5      ---      61/13   0.00M
 6      ---      61/13   0.00M
 7      ---      61/13   0.00M
 8      ---      61/13   0.00M
 9      ---      61/13   0.00M
10      ---      61/13   0.00M
11      ---      61/13   0.00M
12      5/5      66/18   0.00M
13     26/8      92/26   0.01M
14     50/20    142/46   0.02M
15     17/5     159/51   0.02M
16     23/6     182/57   0.03M
17     14/2     196/59   0.03M
18      9/1     205/60   0.03M
19      9/0     214/60   0.03M
20     10/1     224/61   0.03M
21     14/1     238/62   0.04M
22     12/0     250/62   0.04M
23     14/2     264/64   0.04M
 0      9/0     273/64   0.04M
 1      6/0     279/64   0.05M
 2      1/0     280/64   0.05M
 3      ---     280/64   0.05M
 4      ---     280/64   0.05M
 5      ---     280/64   0.05M
 6      ---     280/64   0.05M
 7      ---     280/64   0.05M
 8      ---     280/64   0.05M
 9      ---     280/64   0.05M
10      ---     280/64   0.05M
11      ---     280/64   0.05M
12      ---     280/64   0.05M
13      6/0     286/64   0.05M
14     42/1     328/65   0.05M
15     36/4     364/69   0.06M
16     11/0     375/69   0.07M
17      3/0     378/69   0.07M
18      4/0     382/69   0.07M
19     11/0     393/69   0.07M
20     16/1     409/70   0.07M
21     11/2     420/72   0.08M
22      6/0     426/72   0.08M
23      2/0     428/72   0.08M
D1   264/64     264/64
D2   164/8      164/8
TO   428/72     428/72

Multipliers worked

4X      CM      EI      GI      HP      KL      OZ      TG      VP8
6Y      CT      F       GM      HR      KP2     P4      TI      VP9
8P      CT3     FG      GW      I       KP4     PA      V2      XE
9A      CU      FJ      HA      J7      LA      PJ2     V3      YN
9J      CX      FM      HB      J8      LU      PJ7     V4      YV
9M6     DL      FP      HC      JA      OA      PY      VK      ZL
C6      EA      G       HI      KH6     OE      PY0F    VP2E    ZP
CE      EA8     GD      HK      KH9     ON      SV9     VP5     ZS