[3830] Commonwealth MD0CCE Open HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, md0cce@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth MD0CCE Open HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:28:20 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: MD0CCE
Operator(s): MD0CCE
Station: MD0CCE

Class: Open HP
QTH: Isle of Man
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
   80:   31
   40:   72
   20:  123
   15:   10
   10:
------------
Total:  236  Total Score = 4,035

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Woke up on contest morning to see the SteppIR tilted at a 45-degree angle as the
threaded rod maintaining the elements horizontal had sheared in the winds of the
night (fourth structural failure due to winds this year).  The inverted vees for
80m and 160m were hanging loose, caught in the third tower section, and the wind
was still blowing too hard to lower the tower, so I tried SWR and found it all
working and decided to see what would happen in the contest with the antennas
in that sorry state.

Conditions were good on 40m at the start, followed by strong signals from VK/ZL
on 20m; a good beginning to the contest.  Great activity from a very wide range
of countries (some not in the Commonwealth at all!) made the contest very
interesting - many thanks to all for the FB QSOs!

Given the state of the antennas and my anxiety to get the tower down to sort
them out, I opted for a 12-hour contest.

Rig:  FTDX-9000D, Quadra set to 400W, N1MM (which couldn't calculate the score
correctly) and MK2R+.  Antennas as above!

73, Bob