[3830] Commonwealth G4FKA Restricted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth G4FKA Restricted LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:17:41 -0700
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: G4FKA
Operator(s): G4FKA
Station: G4FKA

Class: Restricted LP
QTH: Bristol
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
   80:   36
   40:   58
   20:   32
   15:   15
   10:    0
------------
Total:  141  Total Score = 2,865

Club: Bristol Contest Grp

Comments:

Any chance of a competitive score was dashed after about an hour when an S9+
hash, not experienced before in around 6 years of HF operation from this QTH,
descended on 20m and stayed there for the rest of the contest. It vanished
shortly after the end and brings to mind all sorts of conspiracy theories
regarding rivals strapping noise sources to the local lamp-post! I'm sure it
was nothing of the sort but it was most frustrating that its presence was so
co-incidental with the contest period.

The rest of the contest was damage limitation and fortunately 40m had excellent
propagation to VK, ZL and generally to the east. The various world travellers
helped to add 5 new ones to my 40m DXCC count and 3 new ones on 80 so it wasn't
all bad news.

2 more QSOs than last year but raw total slightly down as I missed all the
"bread and butter" QSOs on 20m because of the high noise level.

I maanaged to keep going until around 0600 but then hit the concentration wall
due to rather long hours in work these last few weeks.

Station was the usual wet string wire antenna farm of a 30m inverted V doublet
at 10m, 40m quarter wave vertical and sloping dipole for 10/15. IC756ProIII at
100w doing the business in the shack with Writelog and the microHAM interface
box.

Nice to work everyone and well done to the travellers for keeping the contest
interesting. Hopefully the noise will have gone by next year!